Current:Home > ContactTrendPulse Quantitative Think Tank Center-Sierra Leone’s leader says most behind the weekend attacks are arrested, but few details are given -Secure Growth Academy
TrendPulse Quantitative Think Tank Center-Sierra Leone’s leader says most behind the weekend attacks are arrested, but few details are given
Surpassing Quant Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 04:13:09
FREETOWN,TrendPulse Quantitative Think Tank Center Sierra Leone (AP) — Sierra Leone’s president said most of the leaders of weekend attacks on the nation’s main military barracks and prisons had been arrested, though the capital remained tense on Monday with many streets empty after a 24-hour curfew was relaxed to a dusk-to-dawn lockdown.
After an early Sunday morning attack that raised fears of a possible coup in a troubled region, security forces continued to hunt for fleeing suspects and inmates freed from one of the country’s major prisons.
However, “calm has been restored,” President Julius Maada Bio said in a Sunday night address, adding that security operations and investigations continued.
On Monday, the president received a delegation from West Africa’s regional economic bloc of ECOWAS — of which Sierra Leone is a member — and from Nigeria who he said visited to “convey a message of solidarity” from the bloc.
EARLIER COVERAGE Curfew in Sierra Leone after gunmen attacked the main military barracks and detention centersResidents in the capital of Freetown were awoken by sounds of heavy gunfire as gunmen tried to break into the key armory in the country’s largest military barracks, located near the presidential villa in a heavily guarded part of the city.
The gunmen exchanged fire for several hours with security forces. They also targeted major detention centers – including the central prison holding more than 2,000 inmates – and freed or abducted an unconfirmed number of people, authorities said.
Not much is known publicly about the identities or intentions of the attackers or those killed, though former President Ernest Bai Koroma said one of his military guards was killed on duty at his residence in the capital while another was taken away.
About 100 of the freed inmates have reported back at the prisons and four of the attackers have been arrested, a spokesman for the Sierre Leonean Police told The Associated Press.
In interviews with local media, some of the attackers said their objective was “to clean up the system,” not to target civilians.
“Their primary objective happens to be breaking into the arms and ammunition store, and they were able to cater away some huge amounts which they scattered around in the capital,” said Abdul Fatorma, a Sierra Leonean analyst and chief executive of the Campaign for Human Rights Development International.
Kars de Bruijne, head of the Sahel program at the Clingendael Institute, said the assailants numbered more than 50 and ruled out the possibility that it was a random criminal incident.
“It has been increasingly easy to get weapons, particularly through the border with Guinea,” Bruijne said.
Neighboring Guinea remains politically unstable after a coup in 2021. Sierra Leone itself is still healing from a 11-year civil war that ended more than two decades ago. Its population of 8 million people is among the poorest in the world.
The attacks deepened political tensions in West and Central Africa where coups have surged, with eight military takeovers since 2020, including in Niger and Gabon this year.
The bloc of ECOWAS described the attacks as a plot “to acquire arms and disturb the peace and constitutional order.”
The attacks were “an attempt to undermine the peace and stability we have worked so hard to achieve,” said Bio, who was reelected in a disputed vote in June. Two months after he was reelected, police said they arrested several people, including senior military officers planning to use protests “to undermine peace.”
The 9 p.m. to 6 a.m. curfew will remain in effect until further notice, Information Minister Chernor Bah said, as he encouraged residents “to remain calm but vigilant.”
But many in the capital and across the country remained indoors, worried about possible violence.
“I can’t risk my son’s life,” said Kady Kamara, who did not take her son to school. She stayed away from the market where she works.
In Central Freetown, Adama Hawa Bah, whose house is close to the Pademba Road Prison, said she saw inmates walking freely after the prison was attacked.
“Many are hiding among us,” Bah said. “We would rather be safe indoors than be taken by surprise out there.”
___
Asadu reported from Abuja, Nigeria.
___
Follow AP’s Africa coverage at https://apnews.com/hub/africa
veryGood! (3)
Related
- Meta donates $1 million to Trump’s inauguration fund
- Prosecutors say they’re open to delaying start of Donald Trump’s March 25 hush-money trial
- Mysterious 10-foot-tall monolith that looks like some sort of a UFO pops up on Welsh hill
- Shohei Ohtani unveils his new wife in a photo on social media
- Skins Game to make return to Thanksgiving week with a modern look
- Kirk Cousins' recovery from torn Achilles leaves Falcons to play waiting game with star QB
- Internet mocks Free People 'micro' shorts, rebranding item as 'jundies,' 'vajeans,' among others
- Esa-Pekka Salonen to leave San Francisco Symphony, citing dispute with orchestra’s board
- EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
- Achsah Nesmith, who wrote speeches for President Jimmy Carter, has died at age 84
Ranking
- The Super Bowl could end in a 'three
- Can women really have it all? Lily Allen says kids ruined career, highlighting that challenge
- Zayn Malik Shares Rare Insight Into Life Away From Spotlight With His Daughter Khai
- Number of Americans filing for jobless benefits remains low as labor market continues to thrive
- Charges tied to China weigh on GM in Q4, but profit and revenue top expectations
- Mega Millions jackpot closing in on $800 million: What to know about the next lottery drawing
- Executive director named for foundation distributing West Virginia opioid settlement funds
- Bipartisan child care bill gets Gov. Eric Holcomb’s signature
Recommendation
Chuck Scarborough signs off: Hoda Kotb, Al Roker tribute legendary New York anchor
Dean McDermott Shares Insight Into Ex Tori Spelling’s Bond With His New Girlfriend Lily Calo
Dua Lipa, Shania Twain, SZA, more to perform at sold out Glastonbury Festival 2024
Get a $78 Anthropologie Pullover for $18, 25% off T3 Hair Tools, $800 off Avocado Organic Mattress & More
Realtor group picks top 10 housing hot spots for 2025: Did your city make the list?
Taco Bell menu ready to expand with new Cantina Chicken burrito, quesadilla, bowl and tacos
SpaceX’s mega rocket blasts off on a third test flight from Texas
As threats to Black cemeteries persist, a movement to preserve their sacred heritage gains strength